Music Level 2
This course is a continuation from Level 1 Music. You will continue to focus on performance skill and composition, with the addition of the instrumentation standard. There are two optional extra standards – “Investigate an aspect of New Zealand music” and “Perform a substantial piece of music as a featured soloist on a second instrument”. This year, the score reading exam is optional. You have the opportunity to continue working on your understanding of music theory and sit one external examination at the end of the year.
This course is flexible with three compulsory standards and four optional standards:
- Perform two substantial pieces of music as a featured soloist
- Compose two substantial pieces of music
Optional standards (students must choose one or two):
- Perform a substantial piece of music as a featured soloist on a second instrument.
- Demonstrate ensemble skills by performing a substantial piece of music as a member of a group
- Investigate an aspect of New Zealand music.
- Demonstrate knowledge of conventions in a range of music scores. (External)
Within each standard there is flexibility and choice. You can choose which pieces you would like to do for performances, instrumentations and what aspect of NZ music you would like to learn about. You can chose how you would like to compose your own music – e.g. through traditional notation methods, using a DAW such as GarageBand or songwriting with lyrics and chords. Students can create their own songs in groups or as an individual which can count towards both the composition and performance standards.
Week 1-9: Work on instrumentation and group performance
Week 10 - Music evening 1 - Perform as a member of a group
Week 11 - Devise an instrumentation for an ensemble
Week 1-8: Work on solo performance, composition and theory
Week 9 - Music evening 2 - Perform one piece of music as a soloist
Week 10 - Composition 1 due
Week 1-7: Work on solo performance, composition and theory
Week 8 - Music evening 3 - Perform one piece of music as a soloist
Week 10 - Composition 2 due
Week 1-3: Exam preparation and final submission of all internals.
Recommended Prior Learning
Achievement of: 14 credits from Level 1 Music.
- Skills on a musical instrument- you will be expected to perform a substantial piece of music as a soloist.
- An understanding of music knowledge e.g. chords, keys, musical elements and features.
- An understanding on music notation.
Contributions and Equipment/Stationery
• Students must have their own or hire a musical instrument in which they are to specialise
Total Credits Available: 41 credits.
Externally Assessed Credits: 14 credits.
Internally Assessed Credits: 27 credits.
Private Teacher/Tutor, Entertainer, Television Presenter, Musician, Actor, Director (Film, Television, Radio or Stage), Radio Presenter, Media Producer, Production Assistant (Film, Television, Radio or Stage), Art Director (Film, Television or Stage), Artistic Director, Film and Video Editor, Dancer,